Basford United V Ashton United

Basford United
3 - 2
Ashton United

Robins’ fightback falls short

Ashton’s new era under manager Michael Clegg got off to a disappointing start as they went down by the odd goal in five on their first visit to Basford’s plastic pitch. Ben Hardcastle and Michael Brewster had arrived from Clegg’s previous club Atherton Collieries and Aaron Smith had been re-signed from Curzon Ashton for the Robins and after 5 minutes Galinski glanced Nathan Watson’s near post header off target.

Curtis Obeng’s overlapping run then won a corner for Ashton which saw Josh Wilson deputising at centre back just miss Sam Sheridan’s delivery and Ash Worsfold then evaded John Lufudu and brought a low save out of Worsnop. A ball in from the right wing from Tames was then moved on by Brewster to Smith whose shot hit the side netting with Preston beaten.

Smith’s great run into the box was only stopped by Galinski and Callum Chettle’s cross at the other end needed an important clearance from Luca Havern. Tames was then unable to keep his header down from Lufudu’s cross as the interval arrived with the score line goalless. Hardcastle moved into the action on the restart and a fine 1-2 with Tames saw his effort from a tight angle squeezed out for a corner but at the other end the breakthrough arrived as Bateman’s deep cross found Jack Thomas on hand to convert at the far post and Worsfold immediately clipped a long pass over Worsnop with Havern needing to head to safety.

Midway through the half and Thomas was on the score sheet again as he fired home Keane’s pullback emphatically from the edge of the area but the Robins struck back instantly from the penalty spot as Obeng’s run was stopped by Gascoigne with Josh Wilson converting.

Tames then made no significant contact on Rowney’s chip into the area but the hosts restored their 2 goal advantage as Richards appeared to push Brewster off the ball and played Grantham through on Worsnop to finish neatly. Entering added time Brewster won a corner from which Rowney’s return ball was guided home by Havern. 

Team: Worsnop, Lufudu, Obeng, Wilson, Havern, Sheridan (Tserpes 73), Brewster, Rowney, Tames, Hardcastle, Smith (Hughes 64). SNU: Hunt, Field.

David Robinson