Ashton United V Mickleover Sports

Ashton United
3 - 1
Mickleover Sports

The Robin’s make it 5 unbeaten as they come out victorious in a Hurst Cross penalty party against Mickleover Sports. The game got off to a shaky start for Ashton United as the lads looked vulnerable on the counterattack. The first goal of the game came not long into the first half when Mickleover’s main goal threat Webb was given too much space on the edge of the Ashton penalty box, he comfortably finished past Hartley into the bottom left corner of the goal. The first half was relatively quiet with few chances for either side, the main talking point from the half came on the cusp of half time when the referee appeared to suffer from an injury to his right leg. This injury forced a reshuffle amongst the officials and saw Ashton’s own head of media Tom Langford take the flag and replace the assistant referee for the remainder of the game.

The second half began with a great deal of Robin’s momentum as they looked to recover and claw some points back from Mickleover. There breakthrough came from Josh Wilson who gathered the faintest of touches on Chris Rowney’s delightful cross to send the Robin’s level, the Mickleover defence appeared bewildered by the loose ball and made it almost too easy for the Ashton United skipper to grab a goal.

With the Robins playing like men possessed big chances were coming and the introduction of Dom McHale at half time seemed to be the driver of this second half, the returning Robin carrying the ball up the right side of the field countless times and boosted morale for all of the team. Ashton got there winning late into the second half when Ben Hardcastle won a penalty with his angelic footwork. Unsurprisingly it was Mr. Reliable Josh Wilson who converted with ease sending Ashton United soaring into the lead. The penalty brought crisis for the already flustered referee as Mickleover players began to show descent, it was Agustin who paid the price as he was shown 2 yellow cards in quick succession. Not long after the first spell of penalty drama Dom McHale drew a second for Ashton as his majestic footwork saw him dance through Mickleover until he was tripped. Josh Wilson then calmly finished to grab a phenomenal finisher’s hatrick therefore sealing the fate of Mickleover and the newest set of points in the Michael Clegg revolution. Just before full time emotions began to get the better of Mickleover and the second red card of the evening was doled out to Mason Warren for a dangerous swinging challenge on Matt Clayton’s Man of the Match Dom